Barnum is named after P.T. Barnum of Barnum and Bailey Circus fame. He owned 760 acres in 1882 that were utilized as a winter retreat when his circus was not touring.
To help preserve the neighborhood’s historic heritage, several historical buildings still stand; for instance, there is the Bowman House that was built in 1910 at King Street and West 4th Avenue and a retail building from the 1890s at West First Avenue and Hooker Street.
After he helped establish this area, the neighborhood was annexed by Denver in 1896. Barnum is enclosed by West 6th Avenue, Alameda Avenue, Federal Boulevard, and Sheridan Boulevard.